Sunday, November 11, 2012

GREAT EXPECTATIONS



Recommend: Yes

     I tried to find something nasty to say about this trailer but I just can't.  This is one of those great stories everyone should read.  I wanted to say "novels" but it was written in serial form and appeared in weekly sections in Dickens' 19th Century periodical All the Year Round.  At the time in England this was the closest thing they had to TV series, and it was quite a hit. I actually still remember reading it in high school and that was quite a long time ago.  Yes, it has been adapted to the screen many times, but I'd rather see this keep coming back then another stinking remake of Red Dawn, or how many times are we gonna reboot Superman and Spiderman?  If we're gonna do that then I'm glad someone keeps trying to sneak this onto our teenagers' dinner plates too.
     I have no doubt, though, that there was some 28-year-old executive in the early meetings for this one who tried to pitch Pip as a vampire and Estella as a werewolf, or perhaps the reverse.  I'm glad they are going with the real deal.  Although I thought Miss Havisham (one of the most interesting characters to ever appear in all of literature) was supposed to be a scary old broad.  They've got Helena Bonham Carter in the role this time, and I'm sorry but as far as this Miss Havisham goes, I'd like to throw her a stiff one.  I'd totally break that hip, if you know what I mean.
     Reminds me of Sunset Blvd.  I've seen that at least ten times and every time I think, "shit, what's wrong with this deal?  William Holden is a screenwriter who lives in an old mansion with a hot 50-year-old silver screen star an all he has to do is work on a script with her and give her a good rogering now and then?  Gloria Swanson is HOT in that one!  I dunno.
     And don't get me started on Miss Havisham again....I remember she's got that ancient wedding cake still sitting in that room where it was the day she was left at the altar....man, I'd hike up that stained, stinking old wedding dress and plunk her bare ass down right on top of that cake and we'd get our freaks on.  With her permission of course, I mean, you know, I'm a gentleman after all.

Look, if you're gonna keep my hand out of that cookie jar you'd have to cast someone like Kathy Bates or maybe John Lithgow.

Uh....what happened?  Where was I?

Oh yeah.  I say, keep the Charles Dickens boat afloat and go and check this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment